Tuesday, September 19, 2006

 
DAY FOURTEEN: MILWAUKEE I

I had an anti-anxiety dream, which I never knew existed. I was in a college class and the teacher yelled at the students about not reading the assigned book. This felt normal until I went home and ACTUALLY DID THE ASSIGNMENT. Then I found out I won some art award for an upcoming conference and began writing the acceptance speech. The only mild tension calculating a way to casually let my fellow students know about this. I slept late to sustain this serene feeling.

The day turned cold, cloudy, and windy. I packed up and showed Molly images from my May show. The Iron Maiden and I had a sweet reunion as I drove downtown to pick up film and contact sheets. Having someone else color correct my images allows me to see them as if someone else took them. I thought, "Wow, I'm a photographer!" when I saw them.
This is a sample of the mass amounts of insect sacrifices made to Iron Maiden so far. Then it rained.

Milwaukee lies an hour and half north of Chicago and I listened to Sufjan Steven's "Illinoise." Driven mad with hunger, I found my way to a vegetarian-sounding market & cafe: "Beans and Barley." Sonja met me there and the deluge of information began. Sonja and I were in grad school in San Francisco together. She teaches photography classes at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design. Sonja contains multitudes and can't help from including you in on it all.

This is Ron. He runs the lab that will process the photos from Chicago.

Sonja's new house, which she shares with her husband, Cain, sits in the shadow of Rockwell Automation, a meta-factory. It makes machines other factories use to make their product. Let me dwell with on this pleasurable concept for a moment...

While Sonja taught an adult ed class, I sat in the computer lab and tooled around with scanning and printing until Sonja showed me how to do it properly. I am finding my intentions for this residency are ambitious. Creation collides with production, focus-wise and time-wise. I have the opportunity to produce here.

Back at the house, Cain unwound from a day as paralegal. We talked about their families, most of whom live in the area, and their wedding a year ago. Sonja and I went to a smoky bar and ate & drank and talked about photography, art, careers, and life.

It's like starting a new life every four days. Just when you think you've hit the limits of one life, a whole new one is unfurled, and new possibilities & ways of approaching problems reveal themselves.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?